3–4 November 2011
Purpose: To bring together a community of users and researchers interested in contributing to the provision of climate services to inform decision making.
Participants: Users of climate information, researchers and related social science.
- Develop a common understanding of climate services science.
- Develop a common view of the landscape of climate services science that is needed. Who are the players? What are key nodes?
- Develop an understanding of the structures and mechanisms needed to support and build a landscape of ‘climate services science’.
- Identify knowledge gaps, users needs and research required.
- Develop a multi-disciplinary research community along with an engaged user community.
Expected Outcomes of workshop:
- A clear understanding of what is and is not included within climate services science.
- A clear understanding of the components of the climate services science landscape, and the activities/ contributions of each component.
- Identification of where there are gaps in the knowledge/evidence base.
- An insight into user requirements for climate services and what is driving the demand.
- An understanding of ongoing and planned research supporting development of climate services science.
- Agreement on potential structures and mechanisms needed to support and build momentum within climate sciences science.
- A more cohesive ‘climate services science’ research community.
- Research councils understand the what is needed to underpin UK research and user communities.
- Better understanding of the need for coordination of relevant European/international research.
Scoping Climate Service science
- Scoping climate service science poster (pdf, 80 KB)
- Scoping climate service science diagram (pdf, 140 KB)
- Scoping climate service science outputs (pdf, 60 KB)
Mapping Climate services science
- Key organisations diagram (pdf,
- Where does your climate information come from? diagram (pdf, 60 KB)
- Research activities diagram (pdf, 201 KB)
- Mapping climate services science output (pdf, 50 KB)
- Gaps in climate services science (pdf, 70 KB)
Identifying the need for climate services
Researchers Ambitions: Climate Services Science, 4 November session
- What do you think the key/important research areas should be to meet users needs?
- If funds were unlimited, how would you respond/address the identified users needs?
- What information do you need from users/need to ask users?
- From a research perspective, what would a successful climate services and climate services science programme look like?
- Researchers ambitions (pdf, 230 KB)
What action is required?
- Initial input on action needed (pdf, 910 KB)
- Ranked actions based on workshop deliberations (pdf, 140 KB)
Report from the workshop:
- Report of the workshop (pdf, 400 KB)