As the weather turns cooler, the UK and devolved governments are rolling out their cold weather initiatives. England’s cold weather plan includes an interesting literature review on the requirements for minimum indoor temperatures for homes. The review confirms the existing advice, with some nuances, including the finding that the 18°C threshold is particularly important for vulnerable groups (pre-existing medical conditions, over-65) to maintain their good health.
- The Conversation: Why room temperature needed to be taken down a notch
- GOV.UK: Cold weather plan for England 2014
- Scottish Government: It’s time to get ready for winter
- Northern Ireland Executive: Councils need to be prepared for emergencies this winter
- Welsh Government: Winter weather advice