There seems to be general agreement that 2014 was globally the warmest year on record (based on average land and ocean surface temperature). Data from the USA (NOAA/NASA) shows that globally averaged land surface temperatures were the 4th highest on record, while sea surface temperature was the highest on record.
- NOAA: Global summary information – December 2014
- NASA: NASA, NOAA Find 2014 warmest year in modern record
- BBC: 2014 warmest year on record, say US researchers
- The Guardian: Global warming made 2014 a record hot year – in animated graphics
- MashableUK: There is less than a 1-in-27 million chance that Earth’s record hot streak is natural